Definitions and meaning of oi
- (UK) IPA(key): /ɔɪ/
- Rhymes: -ɔɪ
Variant of the interjection hoy with h-dropping in working class and Cockney speech; first recorded in the 1930s.
oi (Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, usually impolite)
- Said to get someone's attention; hey.
- An expression of surprise.
- An informal greeting, similar to hi.
- (to get attention): hey, yo; see also Thesaurus:hey
- (expression of surprise): blimey, whoa; see also Thesaurus:wow
- (informal greeting): wotcher, yo
- (Britain, sometimes capitalized) A working-class punk rock subgenre of the 1970s, sometimes associated with racism.
- 2012, Tiffini Travis, Perry Hardy, Skinheads: A Guide to an American Subculture
- Oi! is characterized by cleaner guitars and slower tempos than most punk music, and many Oi! songs feature sing-along, "soccer chant" choruses.
Variant of oy, from Yiddish.
- Alternative spelling of oy
- (representing rural dialect pronunciation) I.
- Sometimes oi sits and thinks, and sometimes oi just sits.
- (Balearic, Central, Valencian) IPA(key): /ˈɔj/
From Latin odium.
oi m (plural ois)
- (Mallorca) aversion, revulsion
- Used at the end of a sentence, or with que at the beginning to make a tag question.
- 1994, Ferran Canyameres, Montserrat Canyameres, Obra completa IV, page 194
- Oi que ho farà? Digui que sí.
- Won't you do it? Say you will.
- Indicates agreement with a statement: yeah; that's right
- Indicates surprise: whoa; hey
- Indicates physical pain: ouch
- “oi” in Diccionari de la llengua catalana, segona edició, Institut d’Estudis Catalans.
- IPA(key): /ˈoi̯/, [ˈo̞i̯]
- Rhymes: -oi
- Syllabification: oi
- (poetic) O, oh
- Oi Herra! (O Lord!)
- 2nd-person singular pronoun: you
- Rōmaji transcription of おい
From Latin audītus.
- past participle of oir
- (Portugal, Brazil) IPA(key): /oj/
- Hyphenation: oi
- Rhymes: -oi
- hi (informal greeting)
- beleza (more informal), olá (more formal)
- (informal) sorry? I beg your pardon? excuse me? (request to repeat a message that wasn’t heard clearly)
- como? perdão? (more formal)
- IPA(key): /oj/
- Rhymes: -oj
- indefinite genitive/dative singular of oaie
- indefinite nominative/accusative plural of oaie
- indefinite genitive/dative plural of oaie
(eu) oi (modal auxiliary, first-person singular form of vrea, used with infinitives to form presumptive tenses)
- (I) might
(tu) oi (modal auxiliary, second-person singular form of vrea, used with infinitives to form presumptive tenses)
- (you) might
Compare Italian oggi.
- (Campidanese) today
Alternative form of Tagalog oy.
- Alternative form of oy
- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [ʔɔj˧˧]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [ʔɔj˧˧]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [ʔɔj˧˧]
From Proto-Mon-Khmer *cʔur ~ *cʔuur ~ *(c)ʔuər ~ *cʔər ~ *cʔəər (“warm”); cognate with Ruching Palaung ka-ūr/ka-ǖr (“tepid; to warm food”), Khasi ur (“with a warm sensation”).
oi • (煨)
- hot and oppressive, sultry
(classifier cái) oi
- a New Zealand bird, the grey-faced petrel.
(source: Collins Scrabble Dictionary)