Definitions and meaning of ky
From Middle English ky, from Old English cȳ (“cows”), plural of cū (“cow”). Cognate with West Frisian kij (“cows”), Dutch koeien (“cows”), German Kühe (“cows”), Danish køer (“cows”), Icelandic kýr (“cows”). More at cow.
- (dialectal and Scotland) plural of cow
- (Britain, naval slang) Alternative form of kye (“cocoa”)
- 2005, Patrick Halliday, Survival (page 24)
- I put on a big fanny of Ky, that is a straight-sided pot of cocoa for them returning.
- (metrology) Symbol for kiloyear, an SI unit of time equal to 103 years.
From Proto-Albanian *ka-ei, based on a pronominal element *ka and a demonstrative (see ai).
- Ky është libri im. — Ky libër është imi.
- This is my book. — This book is mine.
ky m (plural keun)
- (Standard Cornish) dog
- (modern Egyptological) IPA(key): /kiː/
- Conventional anglicization: ky
m or f
- other, another [since the Pyramid Texts]
Though a noun in Egyptian, ky frequently describes another noun, standing before it in apposition, and it is therefore often best translated into English as a determiner.
ky is an old dual noun, but its ‘dual’ forms are used with singulars when in apposition.
By the end of Old Egyptian, the feminine plural fell out of use and the masculine plural became a general plural.
- Coptic: ⲕⲉ- (ke-), ⲕⲉ (ke), ⲕⲉⲧ (ket), (plural) ⲕⲟⲟⲩⲉ (kooue)
- a kind of monkey
- Erman, Adolf; Grapow, Hermann (1931) Wörterbuch der ägyptischen Sprache, volume 5, Berlin: Akademie-Verlag, →ISBN, page 110.4, 110.7–112.6
- Faulkner, Raymond (1962) A Concise Dictionary of Middle Egyptian, Oxford: Griffith Institute, →ISBN, page 285
- James P[eter] Allen (2010) Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs, 2nd edition, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, →ISBN, page 64.
- Gardiner, Alan (1957) Egyptian Grammar: Being an Introduction to the Study of Hieroglyphs, third edition, Oxford: Griffith Institute, →ISBN, § 98, page 78
- Junge, Friedrich (2005) Late Egyptian Grammar: An Introduction, second English edition, Oxford: Griffith Institute, page 61
- Alternative form of Ky (“(initialism of) kommandiittiyhtiö”)
- Alternative form of kie
(source: Collins Scrabble Dictionary)