Is NIL a Scrabble Word | Words made with the letters NIL | NIL in Scrabble dictionary?
- Scrabble Dictionary. Word Meaning and Points
Nil in Scrabble Dictionary
What does nil mean? Is nil a Scrabble word?
How many points in Scrabble is nil worth? nil how many points in Words With Friends? What does nil mean? Get all these answers on this page.
Scrabble® and Words with Friends® points for nil
See how to calculate how many points for nil.
Is nil a Scrabble word?
Yes. The word nil is a Scrabble US word. The word nil is worth 3 points in Scrabble:
Is nil a Scrabble UK word?
Yes. The word nil is a Scrabble UK word and has 3 points:
Is nil a Words With Friends word?
Yes. The word nil is a Words With Friends word. The word nil is worth 5 points in Words With Friends (WWF):
Valid words made from Nil
You can make 4 words from 'nil' in our Scrabble US and Canada dictionary.
All 3 letters words made out of nil
nil inl nli lni iln lin
Note: these 'words' (valid or invalid) are all the permutations of the word nil. These words are obtained by scrambling the letters in nil.
Definitions and meaning of nil
From Latin nīl, a contraction of nihil, nihilum (“nothing”). See nihilism.
- IPA(key): /nɪl/
- Rhymes: -ɪl
nil (usually uncountable, plural nils)
- Nothing; zero.
- 1946, Bertrand Russell, History of Western Philosophy, I.19:
- As to Aristotle's influence on him, we are left free to conjecture whatever seems to us most plausible. For my part, I should suppose it nil.
- No, not any.
- 1982, Gavin Lyall, Conduct of Major Maxim, Hodder & Stoughton Ltd:
- But after two or three hours and nil results, you have to accept that the trail is cold and you can't justify that level of manpower.
- -lin, Lin, Lin., lin, lin.
- IPA(key): [nɨ̆ĺ], [nĺ], [˩˧nɨ̆l]
- liquid; water
- Gordon Bunn, Golin Grammar (1974)
Clipping of nihil, in turn from nihilum, from ne- (“not”) + hilum (“a hilum; a trifle, a bagatelle”), or unknown origin
- (Classical) IPA(key): /niːl/, [niːɫ̪]
- (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /nil/
nīl n (indeclinable)
- (chiefly poetic) nothing
- Bene scripsisti de me, Thoma. Quam ergo mercedem accipies? Nil nisi te.
- You have written well of me, Thomas. What reward therefore will you receive? Nothing unless it is you.
- nil in Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short (1879) A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- nil in Charlton T. Lewis (1891) An Elementary Latin Dictionary, New York: Harper & Brothers
(source: Collins Scrabble Dictionary)