Definitions and meaning of vire
From Old French vire, from virer (“to turn”). Compare veer, vireton.
vire (plural vires)
- An arrow, having a rotary motion, formerly used with the crossbow.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Gower to this entry?)
vire (third-person singular simple present vires, present participle viring, simple past and past participle vired)
- to transfer a surplus from one account to cover a deficit in another, to make a virement.
- 1996, Derek Glover & Sue Law, Managing Professional Development in Education:
- For example, in 1993, only 8 per cent of the survey schools said that they were likely to vire funds if problems arose during the year.
- 2005, House of Commons (United Kingdom), Prison Education Report:
- Prison education budgets were placed in the hands of prison governors who could vire money to other areas of the prisons.
- 2012, David Maclaren, "Changing the Civil Service", Managing Public Services:
- Because we cannot vire money between budgets, we buy more machines than we need, but cannot pay anyone to run them!
- vocative singular of vir
Related to viri, Estonian vire, Karelian viri and Votic vire.
- A light breeze or the small, disappearing waves on top of water produced by a breeze.
- Synonym: tuulenvire
- A shed (area between upper and lower warp yarns in a loom)
- Synonym: viriö
- (music) The state or condition of being correctly tuned; tune.
- (music) The overall pitch an instrument is tuned to, relative to a standard frequency; tuning.
- olla vireessä
- olla vireillä
- IPA(key): /viʁ/
- Homophones: virent, vires
(This etymology is missing or incomplete. Please add to it, or discuss it at the Etymology scriptorium.)
vire f (plural vires)
- (Switzerland) A small ledge on the side of a mountain
See the etymology of the main entry.
- first/third-person singular present indicative of virer
- first/third-person singular present subjunctive of virer
- second-person singular imperative of virer
- first-person singular present subjunctive of virar
- third-person singular present subjunctive of virar
- (Classical) IPA(key): /ˈwi.reː/, [ˈwɪ.reː]
- (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /ˈvi.re/, [ˈviː.rɛ]
- second-person singular present active imperative of vireō
- first-person singular (eu) present subjunctive of virar
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) present subjunctive of virar
- third-person singular (você) affirmative imperative of virar
- third-person singular (você) negative imperative of virar
- First-person singular (yo) present subjunctive form of virar.
- Third-person singular (él, ella, also used with usted?) present subjunctive form of virar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) imperative form of virar.
- VIRANDA, (Hindi) a roofed gallery, terrace, or open portico along the front or side of a building.
(source: Collins Scrabble Dictionary)