Definitions and meaning of aby
- abigg (obsolete)
From Middle English abyen, abien, abiggen, from Old English ābyċġan (“to buy; pay for; buy off; requite; recompense; redeem; perform; execute”), from Proto-Germanic *uzbugjaną, equivalent to a- + buy. Cognate with Gothic 𐌿𐍃𐌱𐌿𐌲𐌾𐌰𐌽 (usbugjan).
- (Received Pronunciation, General American) IPA(key): /əˈbaɪ/
- Rhymes: -aɪ
aby (third-person singular simple present abys, present participle abying, simple past and past participle abought)
- (transitive, obsolete) To pay for; to buy. [12th-16th c.]
- (transitive, archaic) To pay the penalty for; to atone for, to make amends. [from 12th c.]
- (intransitive, obsolete) To pay the penalty; atone. [12th-16th c.]
- (transitive, archaic) To pay as penalty, to suffer. [from 12th c.]
- (intransitive, obsolete) Endure; remain. [14th-16th c.]
- (transitive, obsolete, now limited to Scotland) Endure; experience; tolerate. [from 16th c.]
- Aby and abide became confused with each other for a period of time.
- (to pay for): purchase, procure; See also Thesaurus:buy
- (to pay the penalty for): make amends, make up
- (to pay the penalty): atone, expiate, propitiate
- (to pay as penalty): suffer, sustain
- (to endure): go on, hold on; See also Thesaurus:persist
- (to tolerate): brook, put up with; See also Thesaurus:tolerate
- so that, in order to, so
- aby in Příruční slovník jazyka českého, 1935–1957
- aby in Slovník spisovného jazyka českého, 1960–1971, 1989
Univerbation of až (“that”) + by (“would”)
aby (defective, invariable)
- that… would
- aby in Ernst Muka/Mucke (St. Petersburg and Prague 1911–28): Słownik dolnoserbskeje rěcy a jeje narěcow / Wörterbuch der nieder-wendischen Sprache und ihrer Dialekte. Reprinted 2008, Bautzen: Domowina-Verlag.
- aby in Manfred Starosta (1999): Dolnoserbsko-nimski słownik / Niedersorbisch-deutsches Wörterbuch. Bautzen: Domowina-Verlag.
- to, in order to, so that
- Synonyms: by, żeby, ażeby
- aby in Wielki słownik języka polskiego, Instytut Języka Polskiego PAN
- aby in Polish dictionaries at PWN
aby (comparative mair aby, superlative maist aby)
- (Doric) ago, past
- (archaic) to pay the penalty.
(source: Collins Scrabble Dictionary)