Definitions and meaning of sai
- IPA(key): /saɪ/
- Rhymes: -aɪ
- Homophones: sigh, psi, xi, scye, Si
From Japanese 釵 (sai).
sai (plural sai)
- A handheld weapon with three prongs, used in some Oriental martial arts.
- Sai (weapon) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
Compare Portuguese sahi, from Tupian sai (“monkey”).
- A sajou; a capuchin (monkey).
- sai in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- sai in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
Borrowed from Min Nan 屎 (sái, “excrement; poop”).
sai (uncountable) (Singapore, Malaysia, coloquial, Singlish)
- (vulgar) shit
- A. S. I., A.S.I., AIS, AIs, ASI, Asi, IAS, ISA, Isa, Isa., Sia, a-Si, ais, is-a
Cognate to Livonian sōja (“white bread”). Possibly a derivation from saama. As white bread was often offered during weddings, an initial compound of saialeib would have meant something along the lines of "receiver's bread, wedding bread".
sai (genitive saia, partitive saia)
- white bread
- Third-person singular past form of saama.
- Ta sai kingituse.
- He got a present.
- IPA(key): /ˈsɑi̯/, [ˈs̠ɑi̯]
- Rhymes: -ɑi
- Syllabification: sai
- Third-person singular indicative past form of saada.
- Hän sai lahjan. (He got a present.)
- Romanization of 𐍃𐌰𐌹
- (informal second-person singular present indicative of sapere) - (you) know
- plural of saio
- Rōmaji transcription of さい
- Rōmaji transcription of サイ
- Nonstandard spelling of sāi.
- Nonstandard spelling of sǎi.
- Nonstandard spelling of sài.
- English transcriptions of Mandarin speech often fail to distinguish between the critical tonal differences employed in the Mandarin language, using words such as this one without the appropriate indication of tone.
- Alternative form of assay
- sae (obsolete), say (obsolete)
- (Portugal, Brazil) IPA(key): /ˈsaj/
- Rhymes: -aj
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) present indicative of sair
- second-person singular (tu, sometimes used with você) affirmative imperative of sair
- Bayarma Khabtagaeva, Dagur Elements in Solon Evenki, 2012.
(This etymology is missing or incomplete. Please add to it, or discuss it at the Etymology scriptorium.)
- Zajceva, N. G.; Mullonen, M. I. (2007), “свадьба”, in Uz’ venä-vepsläine vajehnik / Novyj russko-vepsskij slovarʹ [New Russian–Veps Dictionary], Petrozavodsk: Periodika
- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [saːj˧˧]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [ʂaːj˧˧]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [ʂaːj˧˧] ~ [saːj˧˧]
Sino-Vietnamese word from 差 (“bad; incorrect; inaccurate; to order; to send”).
- be incorrect
- be inaccurate
Sino-Vietnamese word from 差.
- (chiefly in compounds) to order, to send
- 1920, Trần Trọng Kim, Việt Nam sử lược, Quyển II, Trung Bắc Tân Văn, page 130
- Vua Càn-long nghe lời tâu ấy sai Tôn sĩ Nghị khởi quân bốn tỉnh Quảng-đông, Quảng-tây, Quí-châu, Vân-nam, đem sang đánh Tây-sơn.
- When the Quanlong Emperor had heard this petition, he ordered Sun Shiyi to take the troops of the four provinces Guangdong, Guangzhou, Guizhou, and Yunnan and bring them to fight the Tây Sơn.
sai • (𡗂)
- (of trees) be fruitful
- (Standard Zhuang) IPA(key): /θaːi˨˦/
- Tone numbers: sai1
- Hyphenation: sai
From Proto-Tai *ʑaːjᴬ (“male”). Cognate with Thai ชาย (chaai), Northern Thai ᨩᩣ᩠ᨿ, Lao ຊາຍ (sāi), Lü ᦋᦻ (tsaay), Shan ၸၢႆး (tsáay), Tai Nüa ᥓᥣᥭᥰ (tsäay), Ahom 𑜋𑜩 (chay).
sai (old orthography sai, Sawndip forms 𪟞, 仔, 哉, 腮, 偲)
- male; man; boy; fellow
From Proto-Tai *saːjᴬ (“cord; string”). Cognate with Thai สาย (sǎai), Lao ສາຍ (sāi).
sai (old orthography sai, Sawndip forms 𧛷, 緦, 腮, 哉, 𬗹, 彩)
- band; belt; ribbon
sai (old orthography sai, Sawndip forms 浉, 筛)
- to waste; to squander
- to lose (through damage or death)
sai (old orthography sai, Sawndip forms 浉)
- to pour (wine)
sai (old orthography sai, Sawndip forms 㩙, 师)
- to saw (wood)
sai (old orthography sai, Sawndip forms 𡧳)
- (dialectal, of flowers) to bloom
- SAHIWAL, any of a breed of humped dairy cattle.
(source: Collins Scrabble Dictionary)