Definitions and meaning of sue
From Middle English seuen, sewen, siwen, borrowed from Anglo-Norman suer, siwer et al. and Old French sivre (“to follow after”) ( > French suivre), from Vulgar Latin *sequere (“to follow”), from Latin sequi. Cognate with Italian seguire and Spanish seguir. Doublet of segue. Related to suit.
- IPA(key): /suː/
- Rhymes: -uː
- Homophones: Sioux, sou, Su, Sue
sue (third-person singular simple present sues, present participle suing, simple past and past participle sued)
- (transitive) To file a legal action against someone, generally a non-criminal action.
- (transitive, intransitive) To seek by request; to make application; to petition; to entreat; to plead.
- (transitive, falconry, of a hawk) To clean (the beak, etc.).
- (transitive, nautical) To leave high and dry on shore.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of R. H. Dana, Jr to this entry?)
- (obsolete, transitive) To court.
- (obsolete, transitive) To follow.
- And the olde knyght seyde unto the yonge knyght, ‘Sir, swith me.’
- 1590, Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queen, III. iv:
- though oft looking backward, well she vewd, / Her selfe freed from that foster insolent, / And that it was a knight, which now her sewd, / Yet she no lesse the knight feard, then that villein rude.
- For quotations of use of this term, see Citations:sue.
- IPA(key): /suːɛ/, /suːeɪ/
- IPA(key): /sy/
- Homophones: su, suent, sues, sus, sut, sût
- Rhymes: -y
- inflection of suer:
- first/third-person singular present indicative/subjunctive
- second-person singular imperative
- feminine singular past participle of savoir
From Latin suae
- his, her, its; plural of sua
- Rōmaji transcription of すえ
- (Classical) IPA(key): /ˈsu.e/, [ˈsʊ.ɛ]
- (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /ˈsu.e/, [ˈsuː.ɛ]
- second-person singular present active imperative of suō
- ablative singular of sūs
- Alternative form of sowe
- First-person singular (eu) affirmative imperative of suar
- Third-person singular (você) affirmative imperative of suar
- First-person singular (eu) negative imperative of suar
- Third-person singular (você) negative imperative of suar
- First-person singular (eu) present subjunctive of suar
- Third-person singular (ele, ela, also used with tu and você?) present subjunctive of suar
sue m (possessive) (Feminine: soje)
- SUDS, to wash in soapy water.
(source: Collins Scrabble Dictionary)